Hello happy birders!

I was bouncing around the back parking lot with my binoculars over lunch today
when what to my wondering ears should appear but a bird song - which, like all
bird songs, I didn't recognize. But I thought it sounded like something small
and seed-eating, and no other birds were out in the heat of high noon, so I
tracked it down, and found PABU, my painted bunting! (I don't usually name wild
animals, but somehow this guy has aquired the moniker of his code, pronounced
paw-boo). No sign of his girlfriend, but shortly after I spotted him, he flew
off to another patch of woods across the street, where perhaps she was waiting.
I'm very happy that PABU came back to visit me, and I did a little dance on the
pavement in my bare feet. I'm back in the office and no one has called me out on
it, so I may have been lucky enough to escape the notice of my co-workers. They
are all non-birders, but increasingly, several of them are bringing me pictures
and descriptions to ID for them. I may have new recruits soon.

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

Food helps those who help themselves.