A month or so ago, I told a then friend in Marble Hll, MO that I was changing my hummer sugar feeders from four to one to six to one.  He sent me a blistering response that I was doing them  a terrible thing.  But guess what?  According to the 2010 Audubon book "North American Bird Feeder Guide", page 31, use the 4/1 to attract them, then switch to 6/1 once they have found the feeders.  It will better for their kidneys, and give them the water that they need.

Tom Creley