We too noticed lower numbers of orioles in our yard this year but meanwhile the Iowa list was reporting higher than usual numbers of orioles and tanagers. Also, the orioles are usually here when the redbuds are blooming, and the feed in the redbuds, but this year did not notice them until after the redbuds were finished. Wonder if their timing was wrong this year and they just by passed us for better feeding opportunities?
Laurie Shawver
Southern Boone Co

--- On Fri, 6/10/11, Hazelwood, Susan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Hazelwood, Susan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hayden BBS Route
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, June 10, 2011, 11:27 PM

Barb Duncan and I ran my USGS breeding bird survey (BBS) route for the 9th time, this year on June 4. This route(called Hayden) is located in Maries County, both east and west of US Hwy 63.  We saw and/or heard 67 species. Other species were in the area but not seen or heard in our 3 minute windows of observation time. Some tidbits Barb and I found interesting follow.

4.       Both species of orioles were in lower numbers than other years.

Good birding, Susan

Susan Hazelwood
MOBirds-L Co-Owner
Columbia, MO