From: Dency Kahn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bird ID - Possible escapee?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 6:35 PM

A friend called today from Richmond Heights to say
she had just seen a bird she had never seen before.  It was in size between
a robin and a crow; the tail was squared off but opened like a fan in
flight.  Rounded head, no crest.  She said the colors were blue and
pink, like it was wearing a blouse and skirt.  Chest gray, belly pink she
said.  Tail pink but in flight more of an orangey-pink.  Back
blue.  It sounds like nothing i have ever seen, so I wondered if it could
be an escaped caged bird or something from the Climatron.  My friend is a
farm woman so is familiar with the common birds of the midwest, and also San
Diego county, so she knows roadrunners, orioles, blackbirds and bluebirds.
Pink soft, but a pink pink.  She has checked her Peterson guide.  She
says the colors are similar to the pink of the summer range and the blue of the
winter range in the Peterson range maps.

Any ideas?

Dency Kahn

Olivette, MO, St. Louis County