A Context of 'The Rock'

Religion
Pericles Lewis

the modernist perspective

CR

--- On Sat, 6/18/11, Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The desert is not remote in southern tropics,
The desert is not only around the corner,
The desert is squeezed in the tube-train next to you,
The desert is in the heart of your brother.

 -- Choruses from "The Rock"

"Aladdin's lamp achieved no greater demand than the task performed in those four lines of inward vision." // "Eliot's imagination is his own. I can dissect the component parts of his method and show you how it works, but the inspiration that gives movement and life to the vibrant words is thankfully as far beyond the surgeon's knife as the beat of the heart."

 -- Ethel M. Stephenson, 'T.S. Eliot and the Lay Reader'

CR