These seem pretty good fundamental explanations of "deep lane," BUT --

Although we know that Eliot got the name "Prufrock" from an actual name,
we can assume that he chose it out of all possible 5-syllable names for
other reasons, the pinning down of which is one of the great happy
sports for readers and critics of Eliot. Some of those 'reasons' for
"deep lane" are elaborated in Mark Doty's remarks as quoated by Nancy. I
don't think that ends the chase however. The euphony of the name as Mark
points out  probably _also_  was felt by those who originally (How long
ago? 16th-c maybe?) who first named the roads. And each of the the words
has its own history, prior to and continuing after their linkage in this
phrase, and both words, in cliche and in powerful verse and prose, link
time and space: e.g., the deep gulf of time, etc etc etc. This poem
begins with ends and beginnings, both of which are both spacial and
temporal terms. (References to an 'Eliot" do also -- the space of the
Atlantic ocean across which they had to pass (long ago) for t.s.e to sit
in London contemplating in memory the river which flows so endlessly
(sdpace and time again). (These are just bits, meaningless in themselves
until linked into somepattern, but I think theya re good bits to follow
up.) And one last link: One can still today see the ddp ruts left by
wagon Wheels on the Oregon trail. (And a much lesser poet writes: "And
deepen on Plamira's streets / The wheel ruts in the ruined stone" (that
is time passing).

Carrol

Carrol