Missouri birders (St. Louis area especially):

Ever since CACHE got started, the cumulative list of birds recorded at Columbia Bottom CA, St. Louis Co., has continued to grow.  It now stands at 258, the third-highest list among state conservation areas. The "area species total" on CACHE says 264, but that includes five generic listings such as "accipiter, sp." It also includes Carolina Chickadee, of which I am skeptical: all the chickadees I have ever heard singing there, and most of the ones I've seen, have appeared to be Black-capped.  Certainly some intermediate birds might occur, or possibly even a pure Carolina, but I think stronger evidence is needed before Carolina should be accepted there.  There is a "chickadee, sp." list entry that can be used for birds that don't seem to qualify as definite Black-caps.

Two years ago I posted a list of some obvious missing species for Columbia Bottom. It seemed to draw interest, and since then some of them have been seen and recorded one or more times by various birders. Here are the ones I mentioned at that time which are now "official":

American Avocet
Forster's Tern
Black-billed Cuckoo
Hermit Thrush
Blue-winged Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Henslow's Sparrow
Scarlet Tanager
Purple Finch

In addition, some other good birds that I didn't mention have been found there as well over these two years.  Hope I'm not leaving any out.  (Remember that there were also a lot of great finds prior to May 2009 which aren't shown here.)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Tundra Swan
Cinnamon Teal
Least Bittern
Tricolored Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Yellow Rail
Sandhill Crane
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Chestnut-collared Longspur
Snow Bunting

This still leaves a good number of uncommon-to-rare species yet to be recorded at Columbia Bottom.  Once again, I offer the list below as encouragement.  If you find one of these, or any other species not on the area master list (carefully and firmly identified, of course), please either enter the list for your own visit in CACHE or,  if you are not accustomed to doing that, please email me your  observation and I can create a special one-species list for you that  will get the bird officially recorded.  I will of course make a note crediting you with the find.

Thanks!

Bill Rowe
St. Louis

Still to be looked for at CBCA: