I went birding out in the constant rain this morning around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph. Some surprises, but mostly the expected birds! Two COMMON MERGANSERS still hanging out on Horseshoe Lake. I missed the plovers everyone else was seeing earlier, but today in the grass bordering Muskrat Lake was one very handsome AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER (a FOY for me). Also, at Muskrat Lake were 3 Dunlin, Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper and Least Sandpiper. Bordering the Nelson Road slough were WARBLING and PHILADELPHIA VIREOS. I did see  OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER when driving the loop around Lake Contrary, but was unable to detect any ibises, bitterns, moorhens, Sora or other waterbirds where I have been seeing them in the past few days (coot, Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets).

When I got back home there was a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT in our side yard.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

ASM Spring Meeting: April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Kansas City, Missouri, http://mobirds.org/Meetings/sprmtg2011.asp