As was mentioned in the discussion we had last winter, Winter 2009-10
did the damage; it sounds like 2010-11 may have delayed recovery of
Carolina Wrens and/or extended the line of affected population south
and east. Comparison of NAMC and BBS data is also useful. Here's the
numbers I used in my 2010 Spring Report for the Bluebird:

> Comparisons of 9 May 2009 and 8 May 2010 NAMC in several counties:
> Buchanan (23) 2009, (3) 2010; Clay (47) 2009, (4) 2010; Livingston
> (18) 2009, (7) 2010.
>
> None recorded on a 29 May Frazier BBS Route Buchanan/Clinton; 9 were
> recorded on this route in 2009 (KM).

The population crash in 1976-78 and subsequent recovery (which took
some 7 years to really get going) is illustrated with a graph
utilizing BBS data in Robbins & Easterla's Birds of Missouri.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney  MO (Clay Co.)