During a little "pre-rain"/"in the rain" birding down around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph this morning I encountered a number of species of shorebirds (mostly at Horseshoe Lake, Buchanan County). Lots of Semipalmated Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, White-rumped Sandpipers and some Pectoral Sandpipers, Spotted Sandpipers, four dowitchers (Horseshoe), one Semipalmated Plover and one Dunlin.

An interesting assortment of waterfowl was found: One Snow Goose (Muskrat Lake), two Common Mergansers (Horseshoe), a pair of Wood Ducks (Contrary), one female Bufflehead and one female Ring-necked Duck (Contrary), some Mallards and Blue-winged Teal were also found.

I am seeing Olive-sided Flycatcher nearly every time I go out birding recently. The Orchard and Baltimore Orioles were everywhere!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO