Very cool! I may head out there tomorrow if it is dry...

Lisa
Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Doug Willis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

All:
I went out to the Martha Lafite Thompson Nature Sanctuary, Liberty, MO (Clay
County) this morning before the monsoons hit. WOW! Very birdy. Highlight was
a singing Connecticut Warbler behind the nature center, stubbornly refusing
to come out of the bush honeysuckle. I do not use any form of playback when
birding (don't hardly "pish" anymore, either) and was unable to get a look
at the bird before a loud crack of lightning rushed me back to my car. 10
warbler sp., 3 Thrush sp., 4 vireo sp. all in just over an hour of birding
this little gem. Other highlights:
Blue Grosbeak-1 male (first of season for me; at the feeders on the back
deck)
Alder Flycatcher-8+ (everywhere! "pip" callnotes and "fee-bee-yo" songs; had
4 in one binocular view tussling over prime perching rights!)
Blackburnian Warbler-2 (working the oaks near the entrance)
American Crow-1 (evidently raiding a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest)
House Wrens everywhere (at least 8+); zero Carolina Wrens seen or heard.
Maybe the Conn. Warbler will hang around a while?!
Best,
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO