All:
Still playing around with flickr...I created a "set" of shorebird photos from yesterday at Squaw Creek NWR, Holt County, MO. To view the "set," click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36294041@N03/sets/72157626544060149/  Click on the photos for larger views or scroll through the set. Every now and then, I'll get a bird close and in good light, like this Dunlin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36294041@N03/5697202560/in/set-72157626544060149  or this Semipalmated Plover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36294041@N03/5697208802/in/set-72157626544060149
The shorebird habitat at Squaw Creek NWR remains outstanding! Pelican Pool was crawling with shorebirds yesterday evening (200+ Semipalmated Plovers, etc), with many of the late-season migrant shorebirds showing up (Sanderling, Ruddy Turnstone, Short-billed Dowitchers increasing/Long-billed Dowitchers decreasing, more White-rumped than Baird's, etc). I don't have the words to properly express my gratitude to the staff at Squaw Creek NWR (I expect I can speak for the shorebirds, also!) for managing this crucial habitat so effectively! With the channelization of our major rivers, places like Squaw Creek are vitally important stopover sites for migrant shorebirds. If nothing else, I'd say that the habitat conditions at Squaw Creek are tangible proof that purchasing a Duck Stamp does much more than merely benefit waterfowl hunters!
Best,
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO
Still sharing my birding adventures...with better photos!