Friday morning before the ASM events began in Kansas City, June Newman and I visited some birding sites in K.C.
We began with the Anita B. Gorman Discovery Center.  Wow! Great place.  Very nice job with relatively small acreage.  Good habitat diversity.

Note, though, that if you try to go there and are unfamiliar with recent changes (for us that is in the last 40 years), note that 47th Street is now called Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. and that Troost is blocked 100% by construction, so plan your approach accordingly.

Of special note was a non-avian observation at Troost Park Lake.  From CACHE comments:

While at north end of [Troost] lake, we observed Common Grackles and Canada Geese at south end in big uproar. Grackles were swooping around in a tree, geese were flapping on ground & in water.  When we reached the south end I observed something swimming about 30 feet from shore, working toward the shore.  It was a Big Brown Bat, swimming much like the butterfly stroke.  It reached the shore and tried to hide under a small grass bank overhang.  We proffered a stick; it grasped it.  Fell of a couple of times, but when taken to the base of a tree, it began to climb.  We left it working its way up the tree.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO