Greetings!

Stranded near home due to flooded roads and work schedule, I'm enjoying reading many of your posts wishing I were elsewhere!

Yesterday evening, I received a voice mail from Matt Bowyer with information of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and a tern with a forked tale in Pool 1 at Duck Creek CA (Main Unit) located just North of Mingo NWR.

I took advantage of the lull in T-storm activity this Sunday a.m., and headed that way. From Bloomfield, the only accessible route is on Hwy 51 from the North. I had to go North to Advance on Hwy 25 then West on Hwy C (careful, there is water partially covering Hwy C). Hwy 51 between Puxico, MO and Duck Creek CA is flooded and Mingo NWR is closed to all activities as is Otter Slough CA due to flooding. Road closings: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/

I was NOT able to relocate the tern in question; however time of year would fit the MO historic records of the Forster's Tern.

I was able to relocate the Matt Bowyer's Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. He had observed them on the East side of Pool 1 south of the bridge as you enter Pool 1. However, I observed them working along the pools edge on the West side of Pool 1 directly opposite of where Matt had observed them. When I was leaving under the deluge, the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers were back on the East side of Pool 1 along the rip-rap lake edge. Images can be viewed here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2870175570086129715kHlMay
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2807756100086129715seIDIG

The rains came hard and steady at 12:30 pm thus effectively ending my continued search for the tern.

Despite the gloomy clouds that covered the sky and ensuing rain, I was satisfied with the days events as I was allowed close proximity of a Red-shouldered hawk which I originally thought was hung up in something or tangled in fishing line along the west side of Pool 1's drainage ditch. I stopped and watched it to find out it had captured a massive frog (presuming a Bull Frog) in its clutches and couldn't take to flight due to the frogs mass. I was able to get a few images of that event and can be observed here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2910948180086129715SqGPKT
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2055303210086129715iUGLwm

I spent just over 4 hours at this location and 106 species observed with only a humble 5 shorebirds and 7 waterfowl species observed. I didn't get a chance to get into the high ground Pine stand and hedge rows before the rains came - in hopes of observing more thrushes, sparrows and possible warblers.

If interested, full report uploaded to CACHE here:
http://www.mobirds.org/CACHE/viewData.asp?tripID=20062&locID=116

Stay safe!

Bird on!

--