Friday morning before the ASM events began in Kansas City, June
Newman and I visited some birding sites in K.C.
We began with the Anita B. Gorman Discovery Center.  Wow! Great
place.  Very nice job with relatively small acreage.  Good habitat
diversity.

Note, though, that if you try to go there and are unfamiliar with
recent changes (for us that is in the last 40 years), note that 47th
Street is now called Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. and that Troost is
blocked 100% by construction, so plan your approach accordingly.

Of special note was a non-avian observation at Troost Park Lake.
 From CACHE comments:

While at north end of [Troost] lake, we observed Common Grackles and
Canada Geese at south end in big uproar. Grackles were swooping
around in a tree, geese were flapping on ground & in water.  When we
reached the south end I observed something swimming about 30 feet
from shore, working toward the shore.  It was a Big Brown Bat,
swimming much like the butterfly stroke.  It reached the shore and
tried to hide under a small grass bank overhang.  We proffered a
stick; it grasped it.  Fell of a couple of times, but when taken to
the base of a tree, it began to climb.  We left it working its way up
the tree.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO