I saw a green heron perched high in a tree along W. Edgewood in Jefferson City this morning on the way to work. I found it unusual because there's not a good body of water near by - some creeks but nothing substantial. I guess he was resting on his way somewhere. I stopped in the middle of the street to get a better look at him but my binos were out of reach, and the sun was behind him - plus cars were coming up behind me - so it was a short-lived moment for me but a really nice treat first thing in the morning.

Yesterday, I saw a broad-winged hawk flying over my office, a new bird for my office list.

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

Food helps those who help themselves.