This morning around the oxbows lakes south of Saint Joseph I tallied 58 species. There was a persistent light rain for the duration. The number of waterfowl species is diminishing. Today I observed a dozen species.

Highlights included some SMITH'S LONGSPURS. One of the male birds was almost in complete alternate plumage. An awesome looking bird! I also observed four (4) BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS  and two (2) YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS in the vicinity of Horseshoe Lake. Also around Horseshoe Lake there were some AMERICAN PIPITS.

HARRIS'S SPARROWS continue to be found in the rather ratty looking Forsythia Bush along Contrary Creek Road.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo.com