My dad (Terry McNeely) and I traveled to Squaw Creek NWR today and found some good birds.  There are lots of mud flats that are holding large numbers of shorebirds and dabbling ducks.  We ended our day with 76 bird species at Squaw Creek.  We met Larry Lade on the refuge and he was able to find the Cinnamon Teal in Mallard Marsh.  Some of the better birds were:

Cinnamon Teal - 1
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Sandhill Crane - 2
Black-bellied Plover - 12
Long-billed Dowitcher - 9
American Pipit
Yellow-headed Blackbird - at least 5
Rusty Blackbird - 2

We had 15 duck species at the refuge amongst the thousands of American Coots.  We had a great day and I personally added 13 FOY birds.

On a side note, due to the looming government shut down, Squaw Creek NWR will be shut down and locked after today until further notice.  Its too bad that this has to happen at all especially when there is such great habitat on the refuge that is harboring some great birds.

Mark McNeely
403 South Market
Maryville MO 64468