Lafayette Park is a very nice spot during migration.  Over the years
I've seen many of the same species there that show up in TGP (most of
the warblers, flycatchers, sparrows, and vireos), though in much
smaller numbers.  There have also been woodcock there, as well as
nesting Cooper's Hawks.

Good spot for butterflies, too.

Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri

On Apr 12, 2011, at 9:07 PM, James Hickner wrote:

> After work, I went to check out Lafeyette Park to see if migrants were
> present there. Here is what I found there:
> Field Sparrow - 15-20
> White-throated Sparrow
> Chipping Sparrow
> Dark-eyed Junco
> Brown Thrasher - 3
> Louisiana Waterthrush - 1 in a garden near a small pond   my FOY
> Rudy-crowned Kinglet - 2
> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
> Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 male
> Brown Creeper - 1
> Eastern Towhee - 1 male
> I thought it was a pretty good result for a small city park in
> Lafeyette Square.
> Then I moved on to Tower Grove Park. This time I birded only the
> west side
> and stayed there for nearly an hour. The result at this park is:
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2   my FOY
> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
> Chipping Sparrow
> Brown Thrasher - I think I saw 7 of them.
> White-throated Sparrow
> Hermit Thrush - 2
> Rudy-crowned Kinglet - 2
> Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 male
>
> Good birding,
> Jim Hickner

Sherry McCowan
Try as you might, you will never outwit the squirrels.