Believing the weather forecast and ignoring the early rain, a group  of 9
birders left for Ste. Genevieve County's Hawn State Park early  Saturday
morning.  In route, we saw a COOPER'S HAWK and WILD  TURKEY from the highway and
an early GREEN HERON and EURASIAN  COLLARED-DOVE from the side roads.

We first stopped at the Park Office and heard an EASTERN TOWHEE, many
CHIPPING SPARROWS, and got looks at a beautiful PINE WARBLER and a
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.  We chose to hike the Pickle Creek Trail first  and to return
on the Whispering Pine Trail, both of which were good  choices.  After
escaping the vocalizations of the numerous Chipping  Sparrows, we heard and found
our first of many LOUSIANA WATER-THRUSHS.   Along the creek there was a
singing water-thrush probably every 1/4 mile.   We also heard YELLOW-THROATED
WARBLERS, BLACK & WHITE WARBLERS, numerous  NORTHERN PARULAS, and CAROLINA
WRENS.

Near the end of the Pickle Creek trail, we were treated with a mixed flock
of birds including YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER,  CAROLINA CHICKADEE,  TUFTED
TITMOUSE,  a few BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS and finally good looks at a
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER.   After a tricky crossing of the creek, we  joined the
Whispering Pine trail which parallels the creek at tree top  level.   We were
treated with wonderful looks at a  NORTHERN  PARULA,  a pair of PILEATED
WOODPECKERS, 3 BLACK & WHITE WARBLERS  feeding near the ground, 2 male and a female
HAIRY WOODPECKERS, &  RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS.  While watching the Parula,
we thought we heard a  Yellow-throated Vireo.  Upon closer inspection, we
discovered it was  actually a beautiful BLUE-HEADED VIREO; which, according to
Robbins &  Easterla "Birds of Missouri", would be a very early record and
was a life bird  for some of our group.  We were lucky to watch it fairly low
in the  trees eating bugs with more Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. We had a very
low  fly-over by a BROAD-WINGED HAWK which we thought we had heard vocalize
earlier.  We watched the numerous TURKEY VULTURES but did not find  a Black
Vulture.   Both of these trails provided beautiful views  of the diverse
natural landscape of Hawn SP.

We ate our lunch in the picnic area and Bernie Favarra found a late
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.  After lunch we drove to Pickle Springs CA and  birded
there.  Along the drive we heard FIELD SPARROWS and saw TREE  SWALLOWS, EASTERN
BLUEBIRDS and heard EASTERN MEADOWLARKS.  By the time we  arrived at Pickle
Springs it was around 90' and very quiet.  We  did hear a  BARRED OWL, NO.
PARULAS, and saw a male and female PINE  WARBLER, with the female collecting
nesting material, and more Yellow-rumped  Warblers.

After arriving back in St. Louis, some of the birders finished the day at
Emmenegger Park in Kirkwood.  We didn't add any new species but did see
another BROAD-WINGED HAWK very high in the sky migrating, ending a very
enjoyable day of birding!

Pat Lueders, Trip Leader, St. Louis Audubon