It's a bit tricky to be that definitive about anythinng to do with Alice.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: TS Eliot: "the March Hare"

My point was that there is divine madness, but it is not the March Hare's kind.  This is an arbitrary shift of word meaning and says nothing about the poems.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>04/28/11 6:43 PM >>>
Yes, the March hare is mad, but who will deny connotations of "creative madness" implicit in the title 'Inventions of the March Hare" as applied to poetic visions of life.

As for the divine origins of poetry, these may have their moorings in a sense of disillusion vis-a-vis the visible reality:

I lie on the floor a bottle's broken glass
To be swept away by the housemaid's crimson fist.

It may, however, be ancillary to one's aspirations for a higher reality,

Hidden under the heron's wing
Or the song before daybreak that the lotus-birds sing
Evening whisper of stars together

Cheers,
 CR

--- On Thu, 4/28/11, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The March Hare was mad, and not in the divine sense Socrates defines in the Phaedrus.  I think this thread is constantly imposing meanings that are not in the poems.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj [log in to unmask]> 4/28/2011 9:59 AM >>

my last word on this, if you like

'Inventions of the March Hare': a "high enterprise", to borrow an affirmation from Dante.

Cheers,
 CR