"Looking into the heart of light, the silence."

The 'silence' at the "heart of light" in the hyacinth garden looks backward to the mystical vision of void in the 1910-poem 'Slence',

'"Silence" is not a conversion poem, but the terrifying peace is a felt experience rather than an abstract value or rational truth. In her biography of Eliot, Lyndall Gordon gives the poem particular weight in the development of Eliot's spiritual life. She argues that Eliot was at first not conscious of the religious implications of the silence, only that it was opposed to the world of ordinary sense experience: "The revelation in the spring of 1910, at the age of twenty-one, had no immediate repurcussions but remained the defining experience of his life."'

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=geNTQe8OMoUC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false

Forward, by proxy, to Gerontion's admission,

I would meet you upon this honestly.
I that was near your heart was removed therefrom
To lose beauty in terror

and culminating in the vision and resolution of 'East Coker':

O dark dark dark. They all go into the dark,
The vacant interstellar spaces, the vacant into the vacant,
The captains, merchant bankers, eminent men of letters,
The generous patrons of art, the statesmen and the rulers,
Distinguished civil servants, chairmen of many committees,
Industrial lords and petty contractors, all go into the dark,
And dark the Sun and Moon, and the Almanach de Gotha
And the Stock Exchange Gazette, the Directory of Directors,
And cold the sense and lost the motive of action.
And we all go with them, into the silent funeral,
Nobody's funeral, for there is no one to bury.
I said to my soul, be still, and let the dark come upon you
Which shall be the darkness of God. As, in a theatre,
The lights are extinguished, for the scene to be changed
With a hollow rumble of wings, with a movement of darkness on darkness,
And we know that the hills and the trees, the distant panorama
And the bold imposing facade are all being rolled away—
Or as, when an underground train, in the tube, stops too long between stations
And the conversation rises and slowly fades into silence
And you see behind every face the mental emptiness deepen
Leaving only the growing terror of nothing to think about;
Or when, under ether, the mind is conscious but conscious of nothing—
I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope
For hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love,
For love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith
But the faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting.
Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought:
So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.

Cheers,
 CR