Curious your use of --WE -- as the subject of the second last sentence.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Carrol Cox
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: Allusions, Echoes, Borrowins, etc was OF RELIGIOUS POETS

Eliot is not a damned fool, but in the essay Tom quotes he is certainly acting like one.

Just as a beginning: there is nothing in the collected works of Eliot to justify is use of “we” in the passages quoted. It is that “we” that makes them more than merely false; very close to outright lies. Consider in the light of these lines how much Eliot owed to Pound! Now Pound was definitely not a Christian, and he had some twisted views, but he was also a great poet AND, as an individual, a a person of great generosity: his whole  life shows it. Now his Eliot saying that this man can only experience terror and horror.

If we ‘rewrite’ these lines and substitute “I” for “we” we make some progress. I’m not sure they make much sense even with the emendation – but at least they cease to be lies.

Carrol