If you read the earlier exchange about his car, you would see it was
clear from letters I quoted that it did belong to him.
Nancy

>>> Ken Armstrong 04/04/11 4:22 PM >>>
David,

Ah, the motor car. I don't think it was his, was it? Although from the
description of his driving skills, why would anyone lend it to
him.........My mother's estate just a few years ago was valued at about
$600,000 plus, which gave her an income of about $27,000 a year, varying

a little bit with the stock market. If your reckoning is correct, TSE
would have been sitting much more pretty at the end of his life, perhaps

living on four times or more my mother's 27K, which sounds quite
comfortable to me but not what anyone would call wealthy. Probably, as
you point out, that Nobel prize did make a big difference for what
amounted to his married life with Valerie. The original question was
whether he made much money from his poetry, not whether he was a pauper
or one of the super rich. I'm merely saying he occupied some of the vast

territory in between and that excessive wealth was never one of his
problems. He did, as no one has acknowledged, travel and lecture for the

purpose of earning money through most of his life.

Ken A