From: Jonathan Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, Dec 13, 2010 12:38 pm
Subject: Cooper's hawk study, call for nesting locations

Hello, Audubon Society:

I am a graduate student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, working in conjunction with Dr. Charles Nilon and the Missouri Research Park in Weldon Spring.  I am initiating a study on Cooper's Hawks in the Greater St. Louis area.  I am investigating the nesting habitat selection of urban Cooper's Hawks, particularly in open land administered by municipalities and institutions (business, educational, religious, etc.).

To locate nesting territories of Cooper's Hawks, I plan to conduct surveys early in the breeding season at likely potential habitat in these land use categories.  I would also appreciate the help of the members of the Audubon Society.  If anyone knows of any locations of any recent Cooper's Hawk nests or breeding activities in St. Louis or St. Charles County, please contact me at the contact information listed below.  Your information will be kept in strict confidence, and will only be used in this study.  Any help you can provide in this effort would be greatly appreciated.

An ancillary question: Is the St. Louis Audubon Society a completely independent entity from this one?  If so, then I would like to contact them as well.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Hogg
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
School of Natural Resources
302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
office: (573) 884-8533
cell: (208) 284-5819