Hi MObirders -
I think Jo Ann is right on the Greater Scaup
call that Frankie sent nice photos of the other day.
And thanks to Michael for sending those beautiful
photos from the Kentucky OS.

Scaup (pronounced SKAWP) are tough.  In good
light - and especially in the Spring - the male
GReater has a GReener head.  Also, as I recall
from the literature, Lesser Scaup, in the Midwest
flyway, out number Greater 10 to 1 or more.

I visited three Joplin area lagoons on 3-29.  Here
is my list:

Shoal Creek, Newton County, sw of Joplin:

Canada Goose            2
Wood Duck                2
Gadwall                    10
Blue-winged Teal        30
N. Shoveler                40
N. Pintail                    2

Herring Gull                2

Purple Martin             30
Tree Swallow               6
Barn Swallow              4

Turkey Creek, Jasper County, nw of Joplin:

Wood Duck                6
Ring-necked               20
Lesser Scaup            40
Ruddy Duck               15

Belted Kingfisher         1

N. R W Swallow          8
Purple Martin              2
Tree Swallow              6
Barn Swallow             6

Carl Junction, Jasper County, nw of Joplin:

Canada Goose           6
Mallard                      2
N. Shoveler               200
Ring-necked               50
Greater Scaup            4
Lesser Scaup            190
Ruddy Duck               40
Pied-billed Grebe        1

Good birding,  Larry Herbert, Joplin, Jasper Co., MO.  [log in to unmask]
ASM Spring Meeting: April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Kansas City, Missouri, http://mobirds.org/Meetings/sprmtg2011.asp