Check this for resting and flying Scaup ID:

http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/scaup.htm

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO

From: Frankie Cuculich <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, March 30, 2011 9:00:36 AM
Subject: ID of a scaup

Thanks to all for the help of IDing of the scaup's.  I appreciate all of the
emails on and off line.  Of Course I will not be calling this a lesser or greater
because I am not 100% sure of the ID.  I will go back and observe these
ducks again, if they are still there, and see if I can catch them preening or
sleeping and try to get a look at the wings, which is the most reliable field
mark.
Thanks again to everyone.

Frankie Cuculich
Brashear Mo.