Last Saturday (26 Mar) I found a Killdeer nest with 3 eggs.  It was located in one of my empty cattle pens on the farm here on the north end of Smithville Lake.  I went back to check the nest today and found only egg shells.  Most likely the result of some predator.  In any case this seems like a very early nest from what I've observed on the farm during the past several years.  Can anyone shed light on how common or uncommon a March nest is for this area?

Bill Blackledge
Smithville Lake (Plattsburg/Clinton County)