For scaup, I really like to see a good profile look.  Yes, the nail
is a field mark, and the color of the head, but both are tough
calls.  The color can vary with the angle of light and is not
considered reliable.  The nail is a matter of relative size, so need
another nearby for comparison.
Flank color and overall size are also used, but again, these are
relative marks and need close examples of both to be much use at any
distance.

The steepness of the forehead, with the peak--the highest point on
the head-- being well forward is a very good mark.  Beware, though,
because head shape can change as feathers are compressed/expanded
with wet/dry.  That is, an actively diving/feeding Lesser may have a
head shape very much like a Greater until the feathers resume their
normal, resting position.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO