From: Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, March 24, 2011 9:14:29 AM
Subject: A couple first of year sightings from southeast Missouri

Spent March 19 -23 on the shoreline of Lake Taneycomo  (Taney Co.) with the family.  Nothing rare was found, but birding overall was very limited.  What a great part of the state to spend a few days in....  Seeing multiple Black Vultures never gets old to me - And on a couple of occassions the Blacks outnumbered the Turkey Vultures.  Eastern Phoebe, Chipping Sparrow and Lousiana Waterthrush were already regular in their appropriate habitats.

Saturday - March 19:  I too could not relocate the Burrowing Owl that was being seen in Willard (Greene Co.).
Sunday - March 20:  FOY (First of year) YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER singing away in Sycamores.  That is one day earlier than the earliest state record I can find, March 21, 1894:  http://www.showme-birds.com/index_files/Page2440.htm
Tuesday - March 22:  An OSPREY made an appearance over Lake Taneycomo (Taney Co.).
Tuesday - March 22:  A single Common Loon in breeding plumage was being mobbed by 30+ Bonaparte's Gulls; viewed from the Moonshine Beach Rec. Area, Table Rock Lake.

Fish Crows were abundant along Lake Taneycomo and at the Sheperd of the Hills fish hatchery.

Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
MO-Records: www.showme-birds.com