From: Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, March 24, 2011 9:14:29 AM
Subject: A couple first of year sightings from southeast Missouri

Spent March 19 -23 on the shoreline of Lake Taneycomo  (Taney Co.) with the
family.  Nothing rare was found, but birding overall was very limited.  What a
great part of the state to spend a few days in....  Seeing multiple Black
Vultures never gets old to me - And on a couple of occassions the
Blacks outnumbered the Turkey Vultures.  Eastern Phoebe, Chipping Sparrow and
Lousiana Waterthrush were already regular in their appropriate habitats.

Saturday - March 19:  I too could not relocate the Burrowing Owl that was being
seen in Willard (Greene Co.).
Sunday - March 20:  FOY (First of year) YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER singing away in
Sycamores.  That is one day earlier than the earliest state record I can find,
March 21, 1894:  http://www.showme-birds.com/index_files/Page2440.htm
Tuesday - March 22:  An OSPREY made an appearance over Lake Taneycomo (Taney
Co.).
Tuesday - March 22:  A single Common Loon in breeding plumage was being mobbed
by 30+ Bonaparte's Gulls; viewed from the Moonshine Beach Rec. Area, Table Rock
Lake.

Fish Crows were abundant along Lake Taneycomo and at the Sheperd of the Hills
fish hatchery.

Josh

 Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO