The question was asked, "how many more seconds does it take to type out the name itself?"

Few, of course, either typing or writing field notes...each time the name is used.  But that's not the only aspect.  The four-letter code is a really useful tool.  And that is the most important thing to remember:  it is a tool.

When recording birds seen in the field, those few seconds may make the difference of seeing a bird or having your head down, writing.
When communicating with other birders, it is a quick way to convey information.

I notice that the sender has no problem with FOY.  That is another short-cut tool, with the same function.

I find that many people who balk at the four letter code for bird names often do so because they haven't learned the "official" name of the bird.  Knowing that a robin is an American Robin; that a goose is a Canada Goose, not a Canadian Goose; that a buzzard is a Turkey Vulture, etc.,  is a step along the way of learning about birds.  Yes, it is not necessary to ever take that step, but it can be a big help in learning about birds, where to find them, and what you're seeing when you do find them.

Learning and using the alpha code is one aspect of learning about birds.  It isn't an essential part for some people, but it is used by thousands of people as a routine way of recording and discussing bird sightings.  We use it because it is a useful tool recognized and employed by birding enthusiasts and professional ornithologists in all ornithology-related activities.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO