We started the day at Creve Coeur Lake.  There were at least two Horned Grebes in breeding plumage fairly close to shore.  The only gulls were a pair of Bonaparte's.  The ducks were mostly Ruddy Ducks, but there were also some Lesser Scaup and Red-breasted Mergansers.  A Sharp-shinned Hawk flew down the lake shore while we were there.  There were also lots of Tree Swallows.  Riverlands Way was closed for some sort of race event so we went to Columbia Bottom.  There were lots of ducks.  Large numbers of both teal species and American Coots.  There were smaller numbers of both dabbling ducks, Shovelers, Mallards etc.  Divers were less numerous, but there was a good flock of Redheads and Ring-necked Ducks.  We had one Harrier.  The sparrows were mostly under cover.  We then went down to the Horseshoe Lake area in Granite City, Ill.  There were lots of Ruddy Ducks on the Rt. 111 side, but other ducks were scare.  A few Bufflehead and Lesser Scaup and one Canvasback was all we found.  There were only a few Shovelers and Blue-winged Teal, but we did not check the boat ramp area.  There were lots of Pied-billed Grebes here as at Columbia Bottom.  At Cahokia Mounds, the Greater Yellowlegs were still present and we had a fly over Great Egret.  The pond by the radio towers on Rt. 203 had one each of Little Blue Heron and Snow Egret.  The weather was starting too look bad so we called it an early day.
David Becher
Saint Louis