Jim Curtis in town for a brief visit after 23 years, Rose Ann Bodman and I enjoyed a good morning at Columbia Bottom.  Besides the Am Golden Plovers which flew in as we were watching a couple of Pectoral Sandpipers and two or three Lesser Yellowlegs from the gravel part of the loop road, we had numerous Green- and Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, several Red Head Ducks which Ken Thompson posted about yesterday, Ring-necked, a pair of Hooded Mergansers, a Ruddy Duck or two among others.  There were also some Tree Swallows zooming around.  Aside from Am Coots, the Northern Shovelers were the most numerous waterfowl.  There were many Am White Pelicans around.

On the walk to the confluence, we had Eastern Phoebes, a Fox Sparrow, a Brown Creeper, several DE Juncos, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse,   At the feeders at HQ were several juvenile White-crowned Sparrows and one adult, a White-throated Sparrow, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied WP, numerous Turkey Vultures everywhere and a single N Harrier.

Jim spotted a distant adult Bald Eagle in an odd location standing on the far edge of the water near the Bridge to Nowhere.

An afternoon visit to Two Rivers produced some Wood Duck pairs that we had not seen at CBCA and an Am Kestrel, Red-tailed Hawk and more Shovelers.  The staff at HQ said the N Pintails had already left.

A very pleasant warm day with light winds and a little sunshine toward the end of the afternoon.  Great to have a visit with a long-time birding pal.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County
[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/