From: David Becher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: NO SIGHTING -- Comment on 4 letter bird codes
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 9:37 PM

In my personal opinion four letter codes have no place in messages on MO-Birds.  They are vital for banding and useful for field records, but have no place in written communications.  By the way, I also detest the use of FOY, as a word. Iwill admit it is a usable abbrevation although I would not use it.  As for Edge's arguement about not knowing the full bird names, it is not valid in my opinion.  The correct four letter codes are not always obvious from the names because of ambiguous codes where more than species has the same initials or a bird has more than two names and the birds name has changed over time.  It is not worth anyone's while to remember if Northern Roughwinged Swallow is NRSW or NORS or NROS or ROSW or whatever unless they actually use them in the field which I suspect most do not.  I do not have the time or interest to memmorize the 800+ codes for US birds not to mention the 9000 or more for the rest of the world.  When I read a message and have to stop and think which bird the code is referring to it wastes my time and reduces the value of the message as communication.  That is my opinion, if you want to use them in e-mails go ahead.
David Becher
ASM Spring Meeting: April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Kansas City, Missouri, http://mobirds.org/Meetings/sprmtg2011.asp