In my personal opinion four letter codes have no place in messages on MO-Birds.  They are vital for banding and useful for field records, but have no place in written communications.  By the way, I also detest the use of FOY, as a word. Iwill admit it is a usable abbrevation although I would not use it.  As for Edge's arguement about not knowing the full bird names, it is not valid in my opinion.  The correct four letter codes are not always obvious from the names because of ambiguous codes where more than species has the same initials or a bird has more than two names and the birds name has changed over time.  It is not worth anyone's while to remember if Northern Roughwinged Swallow is NRSW or NORS or NROS or ROSW or whatever unless they actually use them in the field which I suspect most do not.  I do not have the time or interest to memmorize the 800+ codes for US birds not to mention the 9000 or more for the rest of the world.  When I read a message and have to stop and think which bird the code is referring to it wastes my time and reduces the value of the message as communication.  That is my opinion, if you want to use them in e-mails go ahead.
David Becher

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:58:04 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NO SIGHTING -- Comment on 4 letter bird codes
To: [log in to unmask]

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for not using the 4 letter bird codes. I personally don't like them, and have trouble reading them. I don't think a mobirds email should be treated the same as recording data in the field. I do find it interesting that there was an outcry when some birders used the scientific (Latin) bird names -- I believe the argument was that some readers would not understand them -- even though they could be easily looked up. Even easier, it might be argued, than finding the 4-letter codes. Plus the Latin names help one learn bird taxonomy.