I admit having the same visceral response as Anne Downing when I write the
bird's full name in my log every day. When the individual state checklists decide
to add a column specifically for the four-letter code, perhaps it will be easier for
me/all of us to learn them. If I were doing field work, I can see the importance
of getting them down quickly and potentially seeing more birds.

Has the Missouri Birds Records Committee ever considered this as an update to
the checklist?

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO