I stepped into quicksand while looking for quail, yes, really, right here in Central New Jersey (I'm a Jersey Mo-birder).  Up to my collarbone.  Thank goodness for an overhead branch.  Also almost got trapped permanently in a catbriar tangle in the same place.  And, another time there broke through ice into knee deep icy water.  The odd thing is, that it is the least intimidating birding spot you can imagine.  Flat, sandy, old farm fields though with easily flooded areas.  I am wary there these days.

Susan Treesh
Somerset, NJ