I wish I had an answer, but I have the same problem.  I've got 3 House Wren nest boxes around my yard, all with Eurasian Tree Sparrows in them.  One of the sparrows has to wiggle around a bit to enter and exit, but none of the others have any problems.  A pair of Carolina Chickadees attempted to use one of the boxes, but were turned away by the ETSP's.

Lorrie Vit
Oakville, Mo