Set sail on a 3 hour tour a 3 hour tour around Smithville Lake this morning
starting at Public Access 26 (my favorite mudflats on the lake).  Nothing to
spectacular, 1 phoebe, 3 greater yellowlegs and 1 lesser yellowlegs.  Some
nice green-winged and blue-winged teal, 1 female red-breasted merganser and
a bunch of male and female common mergansers.  Was surprised at the lack of
shorebirds.
Continued on to Crows Creek picnic area, where I saw some Northern
Shovelers, Bufflehead, Gadwall, Common Goldeneye, Coots, Savannah
Sparrows, Swamp Sparrow, Field Sparrows, etc.
Headed to port and arrived at Camp Branch (east side of the bridge), ton's of
Double Crested Cormorants, White Pelicans, Ruddy Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks,
Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Gadwall, etc.
Proceeded to the dam to confirm what I thought I saw from Crows Creek
which was a pair of Common Loons just off the Northern Parking Lot about 50
yards from the dam.  Also, got my first Turkey Vultures of the Year for
Missouri.

Before I set sail though, I heard my FOY for Missouri, Chipping Sparrows
singing in my neighborhood.  Yea!!!  Love those little guys.

All in all it was quite a nice little 3 hour tour.

Here is a full listing with locations.

Location:     Smithville Lake & Liberty
Observation date:     3/21/11
Number of species:     49

Canada Goose     50 everywhere
Gadwall     14 Crows Creek & Camp Branch
Mallard     2 Crows Creek
Blue-winged Teal     20 everywhere
Northern Shoveler     2 Crows Creek
Green-winged Teal     15 Public Access 26 and Crows Creek
Ring-necked Duck     25 Camp Branch
Lesser Scaup     1 Public Access 26
Bufflehead     10 Crows Creek
Common Goldeneye     2 Crows Creek
Common Merganser     10 Public Access 26 & Crows Creek
Red-breasted Merganser     1 Public Access 26
Ruddy Duck     20 Camp Branch
Common Loon     2 Northen Parking lot from the dam
Pied-billed Grebe     9 everywhere
Double-crested Cormorant     200 everywhere
American White Pelican     55 everywhere
Great Blue Heron     4 everywhere
Turkey Vulture     2 Hwy w by the Dam
Red-tailed Hawk     1 Hwy w by the Dam
American Coot     150 everywhere
Killdeer     5 everywhere
Greater Yellowlegs     3 Public Access 26
Lesser Yellowlegs     1 Public Access 26
Ring-billed Gull     15 everywhere
Herring Gull     1 Crows Creek
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1 Camp Branch
Downy Woodpecker     1 Camp Branch
Hairy Woodpecker     1 Camp Branch
Northern Flicker     2 Public Access 26
Eastern Phoebe     1 Public Access 26
Blue Jay     1 Public Access 26
American Crow     8
Tree Swallow     12 everywhere
Black-capped Chickadee     5 everywhere
Tufted Titmouse     1 Crows Creek
Eastern Bluebird     2 Crows Creek
American Robin     12 everywhere
European Starling     8 everywhere
American Tree Sparrow     8 everywhere
Field Sparrow     2 Crows Creek
Savannah Sparrow     2 Crows Creek
Swamp Sparrow     1 Crows Creek
Dark-eyed Junco     25      everywhere
Northern Cardinal     12 everywhere
Red-winged Blackbird     15 everywhere
Eastern Meadowlark     17 everywhere
Common Grackle     30 Crows Creek & Camp Branch
House Sparrow     5 everywhere

Chipping Sparrow 2 Liberty

Good Birding,
Keith Brink