I have cut back on driving for "a bird", especially if it's a bird that I've seen before. I never got into year listing, but there are lovely birds we like to see over and over.  It's not been just the gasoline expense, it's been the overall cost of living, with food prices going up and incomes "not"..  My love of my backyard birds and birding behavior as an interest mitigates the desire to "hit the road".
  Those who bird in groups and carpool  have some help with some of the expense.
   My original philosophy re: birds still holds:  Birds are a part of the overall natural environment.  I seek outdoor experiences for all it offers and the birds are one part of that.When I camp, I may do some driving, but mostly I am walking.

Jane Allen
St. Louis County
janeSTL.smugmug.com