Recently I received a request, with photos, to identify a bird seen in St. Louis County a week ago.   Luckily, we had a picture of it in our Birds of Europe book.

The bird in question is a Golden Pheasant.  It is indigenous to the mountains of Central China and is not a North American bird at all.  They were introduced into England many years ago and there are now several self-sustaining populations there.

For those interested in seeing this gorgeous creature, it was seen running wild
between a 50ft. row of privet hedge and a chain link fence surrounding a swimming pool at the Coeur De Royale Condominium complex located off of Ballas Road in Creve Coeur.   This appears to be southeast of the intersection of New Ballas Rd and Old Ballas Rd.   No doubt this is an exotic escapee.

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO