SLAS Field Trip Announcement
Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary (RBMS)
Date:  Saturday, February 19, 2011
Meeting place:  Teal Pond
Meeting time:  8:00 am
Trip Leader:  Joe Eades
Target Species:  Winter Gulls: Glaucous, Great Black-backed, Lesser
Black-backed, Kumlien's & Thayer's.  The timing of this trip may give
the best opportunity to view these winter gulls as the end of winter
nears and winter fish kill provides food as the ice begins to melt.
Gull numbers often increase as birds that moved further south make the
big turn back to the north.  Swans, geese and winter ducks will also be
in our "search engine".  We will cover both the Missouri and Illinois
sides of the river above and below the dam.  RMBS and the immediately
surrounding area will probably take us up to the lunch hour.  After a
lunch break we will consider a drive up to Pere Marquette State Park and
Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge to do some knocking around for
Golden Eagle if anyone is interested.
Birders of all ages and skill levels are welcome.  Binoculars are
essential.  Bring spotting scopes if you have them.  February thaw
notwithstanding, dress appropriately for the coldest place on Earth, in
layers in case of warming as the day goes on.

Joe Eades
Kirkwood, MO

posted by Pat Lueders (St. Louis) for Joe Eades
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/