Hello to All Again:

Enjoy our hobby and don't worry about lists; Birding is a fun game !

If we must worry about where the White-winged Scoter was seen,
let me add to the discussion, and I can support my position with facts
and photos. But first we must define the Location of the State Line.

The maps published in "Birds of the St. Louis Area" were part of my
contribution to that effort published in 1995.  In preparing for Map 7
on page 35 of that book, I found considerable confusion and
inconsistencies between maps available to me at that time.  Yes, the
most available maps from local sources showed the state boundary
going down the middle of the river in the local Riverlands area.

However it turns out that the ORIGINAL state boundary was
influenced by were the river was located at the time of statehood.
Also the unions in both states, at the time of construction for the
new replacement dam, were planning to use the boundary location
to divide up the amount of work to be awarded to each state.  When
the true ORIGINAL state line was defined, the Illinois unions got 100%
of the labor.  In my search, I found three old records that defined the
original local state line location. Each reference was to a different
scale. For my map efforts in the STL Bird Book, I tried to scale each
of them to the same size.  The state line that I defined for Map 7 is
my conclusion from that effort.   For many years Riverlands had a very
simple published map for the RMBS area, which had a state line
running down the middle of the river.  However, a look at the newest
ACOE maps available for RMBS, and the truth is revealed !

The state boundary in the region near the dam and Maple Island on
the ACOE map is very near exactly as I defined it for Map 7 in our
book, and both are very close to the map provided by Allen Smith.
Allen's new source of data and that defined boundary,  plus the
boundary as shown on the new ACOE map for RMBS, should serve
as the new standard for defining this boundary for Birders.

Maybe local markers could be installed to make the state boundary
easier to define in this local region.   Also note that the new ACOE
map available for RMBS: (1) precisely defines the state boundary for
Riverlands Birding in this location, and (2) ALSO defines the location
of the entire boundary around all of RMBS.  This answers the next
question:  Was it seen in Riverlands?  For example, my Wood Storks
were not inside the RMBS boundary, as now defined.

NOW where was the White-winged Scoter?  Notice the rock jetty that
extends upstream from the SOUTH end of the main dam.  A bird that is
near that rock jetty, but upstream as far as the END of the lock wall,  is
in Missouri.  This conclusion is consistent on all three of these map
references.  My photo images taken of the Scoter from Riverlands
Way show the upstream end of the lock wall in the background. My
images may not be as sharp as Allen's but you can see the white wing
bar, and distinctive head-bill shape of the WW Scoter.  Later the bird
was seen to fly toward the dam.  I was able to catch up with Allen as we
walked the very rough path from the parking lot below the dam, and up
to the spillway. There nearby just upstream from the spillway dam, but
also near the rock jetty was the prize White-winged Scoter image
swimming among chunks of ice just in front of us, but clearly in Illinois !

Now "the rest of the story" has been shared.
Always Have Fun; Go Birding:    Paul Bauer    Florissant; St. Louis Co.