David

This is the story as told to me by folks at the RMBS HQ.  The old maps,
before L & D 26 was rebuilt, had the state line running down the middle of
the river and that was correct.  When L & D 26 was moved five miles
downstream in the construction that was finished around 1992-3, that old
line actually ran onto land below the dam that is tied to the Missouri side.
If you drive to the dam you will see a sign that says Illinois State Line.
That is currently the boundary and will stay that way until an act of
Congress changes it.  This line then runs through Ellis Bay and crosses the
point near the end of Ellis Island where the shallow sandy part meets the
higher part that has trees on it.  This was determined by one of the RMBS
staff when we were putting the original Least Tern project in place that
utilized the end of Ellis Island.  The Corps dug a channel where the shallow
part meets the higher part and that, we were told, was right on top of the
state line.

Thus, all of the land around the base of the dam, including the parking lot,
is actually in Illinois.  Itıs not logical, and Iım not certain how the
policing of the area is divided up between Illinois and the St. Charles
County Sheriffıs Dept, but thatıs how it seems to be, legally.

I hope that this clears up some confusion among area birders.

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO