Late this afternoon I watched ~250 SNOW GEESE and 6 ROSS'S GEESE fly over the US-63 and Broadway intersection in Columbia, MO. Unfortunately, there was also a road killed Barred Owl on the side of the road.

I've bicycled out near Bradford Farm in eastern Boone County three times since Saturday and have encountered a few interesting birds. On Saturday an adult BALD EAGLE was perched in a tree near the Harg water tower. Today my first KILLDEER of the year ran across Rt. WW in the same area. Seeing this shorebird made me wonder about American Woodcocks. I recall seeing about 20 woodcocks at Big Creek CA (Adair Co.) on Valentine's Day in 2005, so I assume they should be showing up around here shortly. A quick look on eBird confirmed by suspicion that Forum Nature Area might be a good place to check around Columbia. Other interesting cycling birds include a few LAPLAND LONGSPURS on Olivet Rd. (Sunday) and a singing WESTERN MEADOWLARK on Rt. WW east of Rolling Hills Rd. this afternoon.

Good birding,
Ryan
Columbia, Boone Co.

Ryan Douglas