SLAS Field Trip Announcement
Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary  (RBMS)
Date:  Saturday, February 19, 2011
Meeting place:  Teal  Pond
Meeting time:  8:00 am
Trip Leader:  Joe Eades
Target  Species:  Winter Gulls: Glaucous, Great Black-backed,  Lesser
Black-backed, Kumlien's & Thayer's.  The timing of this trip  may give
the best opportunity to view these winter gulls as the end of  winter
nears and winter fish kill provides food as the ice begins to  melt.
Gull numbers often increase as birds that moved further south make  the
big turn back to the north.  Swans, geese and winter ducks will also  be
in our "search engine".  We will cover both the Missouri and  Illinois
sides of the river above and below the dam.  RMBS and the  immediately
surrounding area will probably take us up to the lunch  hour.  After a
lunch break we will consider a drive up to Pere Marquette  State Park and
Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge to do some knocking around  for
Golden Eagle if anyone is interested.
Birders of all ages and skill  levels are welcome.  Binoculars are
essential.  Bring spotting  scopes if you have them.  February thaw
notwithstanding, dress  appropriately for the coldest place on Earth, in
layers in case of warming as  the day goes on.

Joe Eades
Kirkwood, MO

posted by Pat Lueders (St. Louis) for Joe  Eades

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/