This from the Friends of Swan Lake Newsletter;

On Saturday February 19 portions of the interior refuge will be opened from 11AM - 5 PM for the annual Sneak - A Peak day. This provides visitors a wonderful opportunity to view the refuge before the gates open for the season on March 5th. If conditions are right large concentrations of Snow Geese; upwards of a million or more are sometimes resting on Silver Lake.it is certainly a spectacle to see! There are also numerous opportunities to view Bald Eagles as we can have upwards to 200 on the refuge during this time period. Grand River Audubon will have spotting scopes set up to help visitors view the birds. The Visitor Center will be open so stop by and get a map of what roads are open for the Sneak - A - Peek.

I don't know what kind of numbers of birds will be there this year, but with the recent reports of lots of Snow Geese on the move - it should be interesting!

P.S. - There will also be other special events on the refuge on March 5th, and some "new things" are being planned for birders this year at the refuge. for more info go to www.fws.gov/midwest/SwanLake .

Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.