Meadowlarks are fairly well documented as nest predators and occassionally predators of small birds.  It is really not surprising given all icterids act as opportunistic predators.  More surprising to me was when my husband filmed a robin catch, kill, and swallow a mouse last summer.

Jennifer Reidy, Liberty, MO

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:58:07 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Killer Meadowlarks
To: [log in to unmask]

Just did a Google search and found that the Oklahoma birding list has a thread on meadowlarks killing smaller birds:

Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri

From: Glenn Perrigo of Texas (former Missourian):

When I edited Texas Birds magazine I accepted an article about hungry Eastern Meadowlarks stalking and killing goldfinches.

http://homepage.mac.com/rioselva/Killer%20Meadowlarks/

Glenn Perrigo, Ph.D
Professor and Assistant Chair
Graduate Coordinator & Interim Director of Site 55 Biological Research Station
Department of Biological & Health Sciences
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
Kingsville TX  78363

361.593.4170

No virus found in this message.