From: Heidi McCullough <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Jiffy Pop time.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2011, 12:03 PM

What a good question, Christine.  I’ve always thought that popcorn was mostly “empty calories” so not that great as an offering for birds.

However, I gotta like Mike’s experience…give the rabble a distraction and feed the good stuff to the good birds. (I know, I know.)

I don’t know how the blood pressure of a starling might be affected by the salt content of microwave popcorn.  The fats shouldn’t be an issue, since we often feed high fat content (suet lard, shortening etc) to the birds.  But if you can, you might as well offer air-popped corn.  Takes less effort than shaking a skillet, anyway, and won’t use up your oil.

Cornell says popcorn is an OK choice to supplement your normal bird food choices.  http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/BirdFoods.htm    I also ran across a site that mentioned now much Baltimore orioles loved popcorn, and it was their favorite when they came around.  I haven’t tried it…forgot last year, but I’ll try to remember this April when the jelly goes out.  A few of my orioles eat fine sunflower chips from my finch feeders, so I know they’ll eat some seed.  However, when I HAVE thrown out some popcorn in the winter (extra from making caramel corn) I don’t think anyone ate it.  Maybe I need to add the butter. ;-)

Heidi McCullough
Kansas City, North